Sunday, May 30, 2010

Offline customer service problem


Picture credit: verygoodservice






So, I walk into my bank on Saturday morning. It's a small bank in my small town. Somehow I think I can expect stellar customer service even though it is Saturday morning.

There is just one teller behind the counter and she is waiting on a customer. I see the customer wants to make a series of transactions. I am first in line. I stand at the wooden island and drum my fingers.

Behind me are two managers in their offices. One is on the phone. The other is using her computer showing that smile people make when they are chatting on Facebook. I wait five more minutes.

What is wrong with this picture?

One thing that is wrong for my bank is that there is a big fat chase bank literally next door in the mall. It would not be very difficult for me to change banks in a very short time.

Another thing that is wrong is when did it become OK to give phone customers preference to walk- in customers? I think that is a trend. At least that is what I have observed in many business establishments. I won't even go into how chatting on a computer hurts the bottom line.

Has it always been like this. Have phone calls always been so used to protect employees from real human interaction?

In addition, is it wrong for me to expect the managers to spring into action when they see a line growing by the minute?

I think it's time to telephone in a complaint. What do you think?

Greg Cryns
Scentsy wickless candles
Work At Home Profiles
.

.

2 comments:

  1. Honestly? I think you should get over yourself. It's a bank and from my experience, what you witnessed is the norm (although I'm not sure how you can be 100% certain one of the workers was slacking off on a social networking site? Maybe she just REALLY loves her job. I've replied to emails before and had coworkers wonder wth I'm smirking about). I walk in to do a transaction at my bank every week and guess what? I have to WAIT, hence why I never go if I'm in a rush. It's not that big a deal. I don't flip out and wonder why the world isn't revolving around my ideals. As long as the Teller is doing their job politely and efficiently, I see no point in complaining?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you missed the point. It's not about MY ideals? It is about THEIR bottom line.

    There were two managers sitting in their enclosed, windowed rooms who did not even notice the problem. I am saying it is up to the managers to take action immediately. It's just good business, isn't it? Also, why is an online discussion more important to the company than a real face-to-face customer? I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete