Sunday, November 23, 2008

Chuck Seyler wants to own "motorsports" on the web


I met Chuck Seyler about five years ago. Chuck has a history of driving Top Fuel cars. You know, the dragsters you see on TV a lot these days. Chucks current site: http://www.chuckseyler.com

Chuck gained a respectable following driving in the circuit. Then he started and sold a business that helped people promote their own race car driving dream. He would help them pick up sponsors. In the race car business, sponsors are absolutely necessary to make the big time.

I have no clue why the dragsters are in the "top fuel" class. I'm not sure what a "funny car" is except I've owned quite a few that would fit that description.

Chuck called me yesterday. He wants me to help him set up a new motorsports promotions site. We spent an hour chatting about online and offline marketing for his new company. I told Chuck we should consider an attempt to make him THE MAN on the web for his business. I want him to dominate the field.

He was listening because he understands that the Internet is the place to be for the future. But Chuck balked a little when I told him he would need to do a blog as the center of his online plan for success. "A blog?" he said empahsizing the question mark.

We decided to set up the social marketing side for the next three months using his current website as home base.

Some questions I need your opinions for:

1. Is it easier to brand a blog with a real name or with an invented company name?
2. What three social networks would you recommend to start out?
3. If you had $2,000 to spend (I don't know how much Chuck has, but let's assume $2000) for the site and promotion at the beginning, where would you put your money?

I will keep you posted on our progress, but we would really appreciate your input.

Greg Cryns
“I wish life were more like a musical, so when I burst into song at the bus stop, people would stop staring at me. It might also make them more inclined to learn the chorus and the dance numbers.”
~P B Hill




2 comments:

  1. For Social Media, focus on specific customer segments. For example:

    MySpace: Younger people
    Facebook: Younger, more affluent people
    LinkedIn: Working professionals
    Twitter: Affluent early-adopters of technology
    Etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent idea, Toby! Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete